Offering premier works by some of America’s finest living artists. Learn more »
Frederick Kubitz is a professional oil and watercolor artist who paints in a bold, vigorous personal style. He invites the viewer to look into his world and observe his impressions of traditional New England subjects. He displays in his paintings an imaginative use of natural light that translates into a luminescent quality. His compositions are dramatic and create an emotional mood. By the use of fresh colors, glazes and precise brush strokes, he shows virtuosity and mastery of his chosen mediums. His representational paintings communicate visually what is on his mind.
The theme of his paintings cover a wide range of topics featuring Maine Harbors, Cape Cod Dunes, Vermont Countryside, New Hampshire Ski Trails, Boston Cityscapes, Maritime Subjects and many other scenes from his travels throughout the U.S. and Europe. Mr. Kubitz feels it is essential to the painting process to work on location; to extract the essence of a scene while “on the spot” and later develop these studies into major paintings in his Wellesley studio.
Kubitz’s formal training as an architect is evident in his portrayal of old New England buildings. His knowledge of structure and keen eye for detail reinforces the permanence and stability of these edifices which are often important elements in his compositions.
Frederick is especially interested in painting scenes of Boston and its historic places. His painting entitled “Trinity Church – Copley Square” was reproduced as a signed and numbered limited edition lithograph. Its success prompted the reproduction of a series of limited edition giclee prints about Boston and other New England subjects through the Master’s Collection published by Kane Graphics of Boston, MA. (www. kane-gallery.com.)
Frederick Kubitz’s work is represented in the collections of the following companies and firms:
- The Ford Motor Company
- Fidelity Corp.
- Western Electric
- Liberty Mutual Group – Boston
- New England Mutual Ins. Co.
- Marriott Hotels
- Former Shawmut Bank
- Harvey Industries
- Former Fleet Bank
- The Cabot Corp.
- Sullivan &Worcester Attys.
- Maryland Bank of No. America*
- Town of Wellesley, MA
- Choate Hall & Stewart Attys.
- Quincy Mutual Fire Ins. Co.
- Karp & Liberman Real Estate Develop’t
…and many private collections not listed
* MBNA now Bank of America has collected well over one hundred works by the artist
Frederick Kubitz is the recipient of many prizes and awards attesting to the excellence of his work. His paintings have been included in the American Watercolor’s nationwide tour of museums and places of exhibition and his painting “Center Harbor, New Hampshire” was published on the cover of Yankee Magazine.
Kubitz exhibits his art work in galleries on Boston’s Newbury Street, Wellesley, North Shore, Cape Cod and in galleries from Maine to California.
- American Watercolor Society
- American Society of Marine Artists
- Guild of Boston Artists (Past Vice President)
- New England Watercolor Society (Past President)
- Rockport Art Association
- Copley Society of Boston
- Wellesley Society of Artists (Past President)
ONE MAN SHOWS AND OTHER PLACES OF EXHIBITION
- Kane Gallery – Boston, MA. 1993
- Todd Gallery – Wellesley, MA. 1992 – 2010
- One man shows Guild of Boston Artists 1989, 1991, 1993, 1997, 1999, 2002, 2005, 2008
- Maine’s Massachusetts House Gallery – Lincolnville, ME 1990 – 2003
- Maine Maritime Museum ASMA Exhibit 2008
- Marco Island Art League – Marco Island, FL. 1991
- Ogunquit Art Center – Ogunquit, ME. 1979 – 1983
- American Watercolor Society International Exhibition – New York, NY. 1992 – 1996
- The Salmagundi Club Open Show – New York, NY. 1988
- DeCordova & Dana Art Museum – Lincoln, MA.1980
- The Springfield Museum of Fine Art – Springfield, MA. 1980
- New England Watercolor Society Open Exhibition – Boston, MA. 1986 – 2016
- Hudson Valley Art Exhibition – White Plains, NY. 1984
- Duxbury Art Complex – Duxbury, MA. 1987, 1995
- Copley Society of Boston – Boston, MA. 1983
- Mystic Seaport Maritime Gallery – Mystic CT. 1995 – 2016
- Galleria Prova – Tokyo, Japan 1999
- Weatherburn Gallery – Naples, Florida 2005 – 2007
- Rockport Art Assoc.- Domenic Di Stefano Mem. Award 2011
- Rockport Art Assoc. – George O. Davies – Silver Medal 2010
- Rockport Art Assoc. – Antonio Cirino Memorial Award 2009
- Rockport Art Assoc. – Ruth Minas Memorial Award 2006
- Rockport Art Assoc. – Mary Bryan Memorial Award 2006
- Rockport Art Assoc. – John & Margaret Loughlin Award 2002
- Rockport Art Assoc. – Robt. Calrow Mem. Award 2000
- Rockport Art Assoc. – Winifred J. Hibbard Mem. Award 1999
- American Watercolor Society Int’l Exhibition – Ogden Pleissner Award 1996
- New England Watercolor Society Annual Exhibition – Gold Medal 1994
- New England Watercolor Society Annual Exhibition – Silver Medal 1996
- Cape Cod Art Association Annual Open Show – Silver Medal 1983
- Academic Artists Association Awards 1983, 1987, 1988, 1995
- Guild of Boston Artists Award 1995
- Publication: “Best of Watercolor”- Rockport Publishers; First Edition 1995
- Watercolor Magic Magazine “The Winner’s Circle” 1995 Water Media Show Case
- Publication: “Best of Watercolor, Painting Color” – Rockport Publishers 1997
- Publication: “Best of Watercolor, Painting Light & Shadow” – Rockport Publishers 1997
- Publication: “Best of Watercolor, Watercolor Expressions” – Rockport Publishers 1999
- Publication: “Best of Watercolor – Schlem Collection” – Rockport Publishers 2002
- Cover of Yankee Magazine 1982